Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Jeremy's Album Pick of the (insert completely subjective period of time)

Okay, here's how this is gonna' go down. I see no reason why Austin should be the only one who gets an album pick of the *insert period of time between him posting*. I mean, can you really trust the opinion of a guy who capitalizes both "My" and "Romance", but leaves "Chemical" untouched?
So here's my pick of the undefined period of time and, while I'm at it, I will step up to the soapbox, take firm grasp of the megaphone, and proceed to rant about music as if I knew what I was talking about. This probably isn't anything you're interested in reading about, but that's what Reader's Digest is for. Sorry. You get what you pay for.

I've always thought of the seventies decade as being the golden era of rock. A myriad of genres all collided in the mid to late sixties to give the next decade the tools it would need, but it was in the seventies that rock became an established and, possibly for the first time, understood art form. Amid bands like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, I think our generation has forgotten many of the true heroes of classic rock. It's a tragedy, but allow me to set the record straight once and for all. I hereby dedicate this rant to:





New World Record

by the Electric Light Orchestra.







There's nothing new under the sun. What that means to me as an artist is simply that everything comes from somewhere and, to create something different, you have to explore its origins. That's why I listen to thirty year old bands like ELO. They are my roots, and you have to know where you've been before you can find out where you're going.
"New World Record" embodies this knowledge and brings together some of rocks strongest influences. Jeff Lynn piggybacks on everything from Mozart to Chuck Barry and back again. The result is orchestral rock at its absolute finest. The first track, Tightrope, is the consummate introduction. It opens with a sixty second symphony movement that transitions with grinding clarity into an up-tempo jam session, bringing the very soul of ELO into perfect focus. The best known pieces in the album are probably Livin' Thing and Do Ya', but every track is uniquely beautiful. The album is pure, genuine rock from front to back. You'll never listen to it with your hand hovering over the skip button.

For every generation of music, there are certain individuals from the past who lay the groundwork for greatness to come. ELO built off of Mozart, Joplin and Buddy Holly. I don't presume to be the next in such a line, and I don't presume to know where greatness will strike next. But bands like ELO are the artistic shoulders on which I choose to stand.

See you next rant,
Jeremy

No comments: